Welcome to my blog

Well, file those under "words I never thought I'd type." But after receiving my third cancer diagnosis (melanoma in 2004, breast in 2005 and now breast again in 2010), I've decided to add blogger to my many titles.

Many of you who knew me in 2005 followed my journey through e-mail updates, which I have posted as blog entries below in case anyone wants the entire history.

When I first found out my breast cancer had recurred, I heard some pretty scary numbers regarding survival and prognosis. But in a direct answer to the prayers of so many, God led me to a second opinion, a new and aggressive treatment plan and one of the sweetest words ever uttered by an oncologist -- "curable."

It won't be easy, but I've got a lot to live for.


Thursday, November 14, 2013

Here we go again

In the words of our wise, wonderful and witty pastor, "Sometimes life sucks."

It does suck, but it is what it is. Dwelling on it doesn't change it. Doctors, drugs and prayer will change it.

We found out last week that my breast cancer has returned for the third time, this time in my lungs.

The spots are relatively small and have not been growing quickly, so we are hopeful that it can be kicked to the curb once again. Third time's the charm, right?

Starting tomorrow, I will begin a new treatment regimen of three drugs, one of which is a chemo. One of the non-chemo drugs is a new one, just approved by the FDA within the past year or so to treat aggressive cancers like mine. It showed great results, and even my oncologist seemed to think we had a good chance of seeing a complete response.

I'll do three treatments (all via infusion at Emory's St. Joseph's location), one every three weeks, and then have a scan to see if we are making progress. Then, even if I have a complete response, I'll have at least three more chemo treatments and potentially continue for months on the other two drugs, which fortunately seem to have mostly minimal side effects.

Unfortunately, the chemo I'll be doing is one of the harsh ones, so I will be losing my hair again. I really hate that part, not from a vanity standpoint (ok, maybe a little bit), but mostly just because I feel like I am walking around wearing a sign that tells people I'm sick.

As always, we have lots of support from our amazing friends and family. If you feel the need to "do something," PRAY! A lot. And help me not dwell on it. For me, one of the biggest victories I can have over this disease is to not let it affect how I live my life day-by-day. I still want to work, coach soccer, play tennis, pick up my kids, teach Sunday School, etc.

Love to all. Try not to worry about me -- I hate that part.

-- Faith makes things possible, not easy.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

PRAYER, YOU GOT IT! Since going through chemo and the fight with my daughter, I view the hair loss as a badge of courage and a show of battle! I will pray and pray and pray!

Cyndie (Wannamaker) Lee

Sue Tucker Doughty said...

Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear this news...my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Elisabeth said...

Michelle, I'm so sorry. My cancer came back for the 3rd time in Jan. & had surgery in Feb. to remove a small tumor in my lung. I know how cancer sucks. let me know if I can help in any way, besides prayer, which I am glad to do!

Nicole said...

We sort of "met" many years ago when you volunteered to help me cut some "BoxTops". I don't know if you remember that, but somehow I saw your blog. I think you had just been cleared from cancer back then when I read it and I had told you that my sister-in-law was also going through it and she did so well by just staying positive. Well, 3 years ago my dad had a brain aneurysm while he was traveling and he was very lucky to survive it and had a 98% recovery! That's when they found his lung cancer. The treatment they were going to give him was so aggressive he decided not to do it. He said he would rather have 1 or 2 good years than 3 bad ones. But I made some phone calls and found the best lung cancer doctors in Atlanta and talked him into coming down here to just "talk" to the doctors. They staged it 3b. I cried everyday. Well, he is healthier than ever and his cancer been in remission for over a year now!!! Just want you to know that you are living in a great community with a wonderful support system and we are all here for you! HUGS!!!

Unknown said...

Your prayer warriors have got your back girl....

Unknown said...

I will definitely be praying for you and your family!! You have such a great attitude and are sooo strong. You are a wonderful example of how to deal with life's adversity. We will pray for you every day!!!

Christine Macrenaris said...

Prayers, prayers, prayers. Everyday till you kick it's butt again. Hope you don't mind the note.

Lisa said...

You know we've got your back. Pink sisters RULE. Big hugs.

Amy said...

I hate to hear this news! You are such a gift to the community. I know many will want to surround you now in response to the many ways you have loved on them! Our family will be praying for complete healing!